Citylife leadership has been in daily conversation and prayer regarding the implications of the coronavirus outbreak in the greater Boston area. Jesus’ words to his disciples during his Farewell Discourse are powerful words of encouragement for us at a time like this:
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
As a church, we live in the tension of unexpected troubles happening all around us, while also trusting in an unsurprised King. We do not want to be driven by fear because we place our trust in our God whose perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18). At the same time, we desire to be good citizens and follow the guidance and recommendations of the governing authorities (Rom 13:1-7).
In an effort to prevent and mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we have made the difficult decision to cancel all Sunday services. We will provide a live stream option of our Sunday worship service starting this Sunday, March 15. This is also our contingency plan for future services for the time being.
Sunday Live Stream Logistics
- The live stream will take place at 10:00am on Sunday, March 15.
- You may access the live stream on our Citylife Facebook Page. This live stream will be public; i.e. no Facebook account is required to view.
- Our state and local officials are discouraging group gatherings larger than 25 individuals, but those who wish to gather in Community Groups, more intimate groups, or individually should do so mindfully.
- The Sunday bulletin will be distributed electronically via email. Please sign up to receive Citylife News on our homepage to access the bulletin.
- Since a physical offering will not be collected, please find relevant information HERE on how to give to the church.
- Children and Youth programming decisions will be communicated directly to parents and volunteers.
We also invite you to continue to join us in prayer for the following:
- Pray for those who have been affected by this virus and for those who have lost loved ones and friends. Pray that our gracious God would be near to them (Ps. 34:18).
- Pray for all medical providers that God would give them wisdom and discernment in this unique season, and that our great God would be their strength and shield (Ps. 28:7).
- Pray for all leaders at all levels throughout the world that they would be full of the justice and righteousness of God (Ps 72:1), and that decisions would be made for the good of all people.
- Pray for the resolve of the gospel witness of the Christian church. Pray that our church and other Christians would find their ultimate hope in the name of Jesus and nothing else (Ps. 20:7).
This unique season is a reminder of our fragility, but also an opportunity to rally in the strength of God. Let us be loving towards our neighbors, look for ways to provide support, and above all, be courageous in the face of our fears, knowing that our God reigns sovereign.