As Christians, we’re called to give, serve, and love sacrificially; not to give when we have extra, serve with left-over time, or to love only when convenient (Philippians 2:1-4, Romans 12:1-21).
Our King is worthy of our first fruits, and so we are to give as those who have been given everything (Proverbs 3:9, Romans 11:33-36).
During this difficult time, let us not neglect the needs of our church or our neighbors (Nehemiah 10:35-39, 1 Corinthians 10:24,31-33).
COVID-19 is affecting our city – and our world – in a big way. Throughout our city, loved ones are becoming ill, people are losing jobs, businesses are closing, and some are even losing access to food. The same is true for members of our own church family.
As the Diaconate, we ask you to get involved in two initiatives:
- Support the Care Committee Fund. This is a fund to provide emergency financial assistance to people inside our church, including Boston, Chestnut Hill, and Chinese congregations. Two ways you can help:
- Tell others that the Care Committee Fund exists. This is dedicated to serve those in our church in emergency financial circumstances (e.g. no longer able to pay for housing, food, medicine, etc). If you or someone you know is in critical need, please email email@example.com.
- Donate to the Care Committee. The Diaconate is diligently allocating the limited budget to where it’s needed most. However, the current budget falls many thousands of dollars short of meeting pressing needs of our church members. We’re taking a special offering to meet this shortfall through Faith Street. Just select the “Care Committee Fund.”
- Support Neighborhood Outreach Relief Efforts. We want to care also for our neighbors around us, and we’ve partnered with local nonprofits to do so. Two ways you can help:
- Donate Supplies and Money to the Neighborhood Outreach Fund. Nam Hee Kim, our Neighborhood Outreach Director, is coordinating donations of supplies requested by our service partners. See website for details. She has also established a fund to provide targeted financial support. You can donate to this fund through Faith Street, selecting the “Neighborhood Outreach Fund.”
- Volunteer Your Time. Join us for a weekly call on Monday @8-9pm to share ministry updates, discuss topics to better equip us for the work of service, and pray. To join Zoom meeting, email Nam Hee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Lastly, we are deeply thankful for all those who have been faithfully responding to this situation in their personal capacities. May we not cease in supporting and exhorting one another daily, and let us not become weary in doing good (Hebrews 3:13, 10:25). May we act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God. (Galatians 6:9, Micah 6:8)
The Citylife Diaconate